A: Have you talked to your boyfriend about buying atable?
你跟你的男友谈了买桌子的事情吗?
B: Yes,but he just brushed it off as if it were onlymy
谈过了,但他只是轻轻带过,好像这事情只是我的事儿一样。
知识点分析:
Brush off的原意是“刷掉,刷掉,掸掉,拂掉”的意思。例如:Dust on the surface brushes off (表面的灰尘容易掸掉。)Please brush this insect (请把这只虫掸掉。)在口语中,可以用来表示“拒绝,漠视,不理睬”等意思。
A: Is there any other way?
还有别的办法吗?
B: I am My hands are
对不起,我无能为力。
知识点分析:
One’s hands are tied是一句俚语,字面意思是“手别捆绑起来”,比喻为“无能为力,没办法”的意思。
A: You are yourself
不用谢,祝你生活愉快。
B: The same to
你也一样啊。
Give oneself airs的意思是“装模作样”。
A: Will you give your friends a buzz and put out afeeler to see if they like to offer me a loan?
给你的朋友打个电话,看看他能否给我贷点款?
B: Give them a buzz? What can I say to them? Saythat you want a loan?
给他们打电话?说什么呢?说你想贷款?
A: I just want to make sure that there is possibilityof giving us a
我就是想看看有没有这个可能。
B: And they, too, want to make sure their loan is
她们也要确认这个值不值得做。
Gimmick的意思为“花招,诡计”。
A: What did you do to get her back?
你是怎么把她惹火了?
B: I only said she was easy to take
我只是说她很爱生气。
A: And what else did you say?
你还说了别的什么吗?
B: Well, I also said she was not even a
我还说她连一个孩子都不如。
A: But these remarks were enough to get her back
这些话语就足够让她生气了的。
Get the best of的意思是“占某人的便宜,享有最优越的”。
A: What has happened? You got black and blue inthe
怎么搞的,你脸上青一块紫一块的。
B: I fought with
我和鲍勃打了一架。
A: How come?
糟透了,怎么会这样呢?
B: I don’t want to mention But I’ll get back at him some
我不想再提了,但是我终有一天会报复他的。
Get back at someone的字母意思是“返回到某人身上去”,引申为“报复某人”。
A: I saw her the moment I came she smiled
我刚进来就看到了她,她对着我微笑。
B: It seems that she is fond of
看上去他喜欢你了。
A: She is When she gets dolled up, she isreally
她非常可爱,打扮起来还真是漂亮。
B: Shall I introduce you to her?
是呀,要不要我帮你介绍认识。
A: You know her?
你认识她?
B: Of She is my
当然,她是我表妹。
知识点分析:
dolled up的意思为“打扮得漂漂亮亮的,花枝招展的”。
A: He didn’t think that he would be
他没有想到别人会找到他的。
B: He certainly got in his girlfriend’s
他一定是把他女友惹毛火了。
A: I knew she was very angry when shelearned what he had
是的,我知道当她知道他所做的事情后非常生气。
B: She wouldn’t love him any more, I
我想,她不会再爱他啦。
Get in someone’s hair的英文解释为“used when someone is distracting you from something youare doing”。可译为:打搅某人,吵烦某人,把某人惹火了等等。
A: Do you know him?
你认识他?
B: Not very
不太熟悉。
A: Then why did you believe him and gave him somuch money?
那你为何相信他而给他那么多钱呢?
B: I am simply flowing my nose and I think he really needs
我只是凭直觉,想到他真的需要帮助。
Follow one’s nose的意思为“凭直觉”“凭第六感官”。
A: I think, for this thing, he has gone too
在这件事情上,我认为他做得有点过分了。
B: Why?
为什么呢?
A: You know, he shouted from the housetops thatSusan had done such a
你知道吗,他大声宣告苏珊做的那件事情。
B: Yeah, it’s nobody but she did
是的,可的确是她不是别人干的。
A: But I think we should spare her
可是我觉得还是应该给她留点情面。
stage fright是名词短语,其意思为“怯场”。它经常与动词get连用,即为: get a stage fright。
A : I am
我真有点迷惑不解。
B: What is the matter?
怎么啦?
A : You really believe what he says?
你真相信他说的话?
B: But frankly speaking, he has never fluffed
坦率地说,他从来就没有把你放在眼里。
Fluff off 的意思为“不把某人放眼中”“冷淡或不理睬某人”“傲慢滴排斥某人”。
A: What a terrible man he is!
他这个人真过分!
B: What had happened?
怎么了?
A: I’m just surprised when he flew off the handleand told me if I mention anything about mother he skin me
使我吃惊的是,他怒不可揭地说我如果再提到关于母亲的任何事情,他就要剥了我的皮。
B: Please forgive him, you know he was shocked by the truth that mother has gone awaywithout
请原谅他,你知道母亲丢掉我们就走了,对他触动很大。
A: OK, but we all have a broken heart, not just himself
好吧,可是我们都很伤心,又不是他一个人。
Fly off the handle的意思为“失去控制”“大发雷霆”。
A: Where are you from?
你来自哪里?
B: Gansu
甘肃省。
A: For goodness’ sake, I didn’t know we are fromthe same
天啊,我还不知道啦,我们原来是老乡。
B: Did you have a good night tonight?
今晚过得愉快吗?
A: Yes, marvelous
非常愉快。
【微语】爱一个人,对方也爱你,甜味居多;爱一个人,对方不知道,酸味居多;爱一个人,对方不爱你,苦味居多。